As you may know, in a past professional life I was a whitewater kayaker. This old profession has taken me to some very remote places in the world from third world countries to the deep wilderness. I have hence dealt with a whole host of different stomach bugs and have come up with ways to prevent getting sick on my many different adventures. With that being said, you must remember the most important thing to do when traveling is to plan. Is the place you’re traveling to safe? Does it have clean drinking water? Can you eat the street food? Most of this information can be found on the CDC website.
Having been on three medical missions to Guatemala over the years, I have helped many people with intestinal parasites and dysbiosis. The below tips are meant to give you more options for preventing diseases while traveling.
- Vaccinations: Some vaccines have offered many benefits to society over the years. I urge everyone who is traveling to a country with an endemic disease to speak with their doctor about the pros and cons of available vaccines. As a medical professional, they should be able to offer an unbiased overview of any treatments they offer their patients.
- Probiotic: I recommend to anyone who will be traveling outside the country to start a probiotic regiment 2 weeks before leaving. A high quality probiotic with billions of beneficial bacteria from a trusted company with high quality control of their products can. I would also recommend that the probiotic be one which is geared towards your blood type. You should continue taking this probiotic for the duration of your trip and for at least a week once you return to the US.
- Artemisia-This is a very powerful herb that has been in use for thousands of years. This herb acts as an anti-parasitic and an anti-bacterial. I recommend taking this away from your probiotics for the length of your trip. I would also recommend continuing taking it for a week when you get back.
- Proberry capsules- Gives your body the electrolytes and immune support that it needs to prevent disease.
- Genoma Security gives your body the much-needed anti-viral/bacterial support that it needs to stay healthy while you are traveling.
- Po Chai Pills-This is an old Chinese Patent Medicine that has been used for thousands of years. I personally never leave the country without it. This medicine will stop vomiting and diarrhea without any side effects. I have used it countless times to stop “Montezuma’s Revenge.” I also gave it to my nephew last week to stop his symptoms of a stomach bug that was traveling around the family.
[box type=”info”]Please remember to always check with your doctor before starting a new medication or supplement.
If you are interested in buying any of the above products, please visit my Emerson Ecologics Store. To receive a discount, please email me for the login information.
If you wish to make an appointment, please free free to contact Barbara at 203-366-0526 and remember to please ask for Dr. Brody’s practice. [/box]