Dr. Brody’s Natural Approach to an Enlarged Prostate
All Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH means is that there is a abnormal enlargement of the prostate. This is a normal part of aging for most men but we do not want the prostate to become too large and have symptoms develop.
I find it disheartening that most men do not get annual physicals or seek health care when necessary. I believe this might be due to a few factors, one of which might be the macho persona: “I am too tough to get sick” or “I only go to the doctor when I am extremely sick”. Another component seems to be avoidance and fear – what they can’t physically see can’t hurt them. There are so many diseases out there that men may have but may be too afraid to talk about. When it comes to prostate health, many men can be very shy. Little do they know that there are many natural treatments that can be used to treat or avoid altogether the symptoms associated with an enlarged prostate aka BPH. These symptoms can include:
- Frequent urination, including in the middle of the night
- Urgency to urinate
- Incomplete bladder emptying
- Difficulty starting urination
- A weak urinary stream
- A urinary stream that starts and stops
- Straining to urinate
- Continued dribbling of urine
There is a type of palm tree that has been shown in medical literature to reduce the size of the prostate while also nourishing it, consequently lessening the occurrence or degree of the above symptoms. This is because this palm tree has a certain mechanism that makes it inhibit certain growth factors, act as an anti-inflammatory agent and a α-reductase inhibitor. These actions can greatly benefit someone who is suffering from an enlarged prostate.
When it comes to blood types, there are certain predispositions that a person should know about:
- There is a slight increase in having an enlarged prostate if you are a man with blood types A or AB.
- In regards to SWAMI measurements, being tall is associated with more IGF-1 which seems to predispose men to prostate issues later on in life.
If you have the FUT2 gene (secretor) you are more likely to suffer from an enlarged prostate.
Supplements that can help
- Saw Palmetto–This palm tree can help to reduce the size of and enlarged prostate
- Boron–This mineral has been shown to increase tostosterone
- Stinging Nettle Root–This plant has been shown to help balance out hormones allowing for a reduction in size of the prostate
- Quercetin–This supplement is great at reducing the size of the prostate and allergies
Services and Tests To Help You Heal Faster:
To schedule an appointment, please contact the Personalized Natural Medicine Clinic, located in a beautiful Victorian house in the heart of Newtown, Connecticut.