Dr. Brody’s Natural Approach to Leaky Gut
What comes in must go out. Leaky Gut symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and/or constipation are the body’s attempt of communicating that something is wrong. When these symptoms are present it can indicate inflammation and more importantly Leaky Gut. When there are high levels of inflammation in the digestive system, the cells that divide the intestines from the rest of the body become damaged. With this damage, bacteria and chemicals pass from the digestive system into the rest of the body. This invasion of chemicals stimulates the immune system which in turns creates more inflammation.
Leaky gut is simply the presence of inflammation from damages cells of the digestive tract, causing gaps, which allows bacteria, chemicals, and other toxins into parts of the body that are usually off limits. Some bacteria do better with living in this environment than others. When these bacteria crowd out good bacteria a dysbiotic state can occur. Treatment geared at controlling this dysbiotic state is critical for long-term healing as the proper balance of good to bad bacteria will keep leaky gut symptoms away.
Investigations such as hydrogen and methane breath testing, microbiome analysis, bloodwork, phenotypical measurements, and physical examination can help determine how much dysbiosis is present along with the extent of the damage. Most of these test can be performed in the office and can provide immediate information on how to treat Leaky Gut.
- Broccoli–3 cups a day of this vegetable has been shown to reduce inflammation in the digestive system via the binding of indolocarbazole to the aryl hydrocarbon receptor to help balance the microbiome, reduce inflammation, and control immune responses.
- Ghee–This clarified butter has butyric acid in it which is a short chain fatty acid which acts as a food source for cells in the digestive tract.
- Zinc–This useful mineral can help repair the gaps that separate the intestines from the rest of the body.
Services and Tests To Help You Heal Faster:
- Personalized Nutrition Plan
- Hydrogen Gas Testing
- Indican Testing
- Utopia Microbiome/Microbiota Testing and Analysis
- Opus 23 Pro DNA Analysis
To schedule an appointment, please contact the Personalized Natural Medicine Clinic, located in a beautiful Victorian house in the heart of Newtown, Connecticut.